January 14, 2019

Commission process. Stage #1

I want to share my process of working on a commissioned piece. I have done a few of them in the past. I will use the oil painting landscape of a New Westminster Cemetery I have done for Sandra as an example here. Hoping that these series of posts will be useful for both the customers and the artists.

Initial meeting
We would spend an hour or so talking about all aspects of the commission. This can be done in person or over a Facetime or Skype call. Usually people have some idea in mind when they approach an artist. Things to consider:
  1. Medium and surface
  2. Size 
  3. General genre ( landscape, portrait, ect)
  4. Idea
  5. Examples
  6. Style
  7. Level of details
  8. Studies/sketches
  9. Timeline
Also at this stage we are trying to bond, see if we can work together and if we understand each other clear. 

Pricing

After discussion with the client I can give estimate price which does not include revisions, additional details and framing. 

The final price will include price for sketches, all supplies, size-based price for finished work, one revision after each step of the process ( after sketches, after drawing, after color studies, ect.) More revisions will cost additional money.

I also will ask for a security deposit, usually the price of sketches and supplies. 

Second meeting

I show sketches and examples to better illustrate how the finished work could look like. At this meeting we will agree or disagree on a final price and the direction of the art work. 

Photos below show photos of New Westminster Cemetery Sandra provided for me to work with plus some process details. She didn't want the direct representation of the specific place in the cemetery, rather she wanted the collected look of the most interesting parts of the place. For this reason I have avoided making sketches or studies on location, which I normally would do. But I have visited the place and took specific photos.